Maltego is an interactive data mining tool and it is used in online investigations for finding relationships between pieces of information from various sources located on the Internet.
Maltego is an information gathering tool that allows you to visually see relationships. It is capable of querying various public data sources and graphically depict the relationships between entities such as people, companies, web sites, and documents.
Maltego allows you to enumerate network and domain information like:
• Domain Names
• Whois Information
• DNS Names
• IP Addresses
Maltego also allows you to enumerate People information like:
• Email addresses associated with a person’s name
• Web sites associated with a person’s name
• Phone numbers associated with a person’s name
• Social groups that are associated with a person’s name
• Companies and organizations associated with a person’s name
Maltego also allows you to:
• Do simple verification of email addresses
• Search blogs for tags and phrases
• Identify incoming links for websites
• Extract metadata from files from target domains
Where it is used in the real world.
Maltego can be used for the information gathering phase of all security related work , it is used as a forensics and data mining application , It is a must-have tool in the forensics, security and intelligence fields!
It will save you time and will allow you to work more accurately and smarter. Maltego aids you in your thinking process by visually demonstrating interconnected links between searched items.
Maltego provide you with a much more powerful search, giving you smarter results. If access to “hidden” information determines your success, Maltego can help you discover it.
How to install
• Maltego is easy and quick to install – it uses Java, so it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.
• Maltego provides you with a graphical interface that makes seeing these relationships instant and accurate – making it possible to see hidden connections.
• Using the graphical user interface (GUI) you can see relationships easily – even if they are three or four degrees of separation away.
• Maltego is unique because it uses a powerful, flexible framework that makes customizing possible. As such, Maltego can be adapted to your own, unique requirements.